rootid is currently seeking applicants for a Part-time/Contract, Production Designer (Web & Print).
Want to use your combined skills as a production and graphic designer to serve movements for social justice, community impact and positive change? rootid is seeking someone with web and print production design experience and help in the execution of our communications strategy services to nonprofit partners. If you’re detail oriented and you don’t mind getting into the minutia of production, aligning grids, file management and versioning, etc., then we would love to hear from you. Come join our team of designers, developers and educators — who are also activists, authors, beer-makers, outdoor enthusiasts and musicians — and become a part of our mission driven company.
Since 2011, our team has partnered with over 300 nonprofit & social impact organizations through direct agency services & community education partnerships. In 2020, we set an ambitious goal to serve 150 organizations in just one year and were able to surpass our expectations. We plan to continue to grow this impact in the coming years as well. To achieve this goal, rootid is expanding our team, agency services and education products to serve more nonprofits in a variety of ways.
Skills & Experience
- someone who challenges entrenched power dynamics and respects all voices
- someone who believes that brand and communications strategy are tools for social change
- a person who upholds the Design Justice Network Principles
- someone who thrives on community engagement projects and programs
- someone who wants to deeply contribute locally, nationally and globally to help towards the development of the next generation of educators, activists, changemakers, social entrepreneurs and technologists
What You Will Do
- Build out design assets across print, web and social media using InDesign, Illustrator, Figma and Canva based on creative briefs, styleguides and provided art direction.
- Work with our design team to produce website and print deliverables on time and on budget.
- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work
- 2+ years of experience working with nonprofits or on a nonprofit team (transferable agency, freelance or corporate experience ok too).
- A drive to continuously improve your craft through learning, sharing and absorbing feedback.
- Knowledge of figma and web production practices (we work with a component library)
- Ability to use styleguides and a master design to inform design template buildout
- Knowledge of indd, illustrator, print production and packaging print ready assets
- Ability to produce assets for social media (with adobe cc or canva)
- Desire to collaborate with our team of designers, developers, strategists via slack, asana, zoom, email, as well as complete assigned tasks independently and punctually.
- Basic graphic design skills.
- Detail oriented
- Multi-lingual and/or knowledge of how to lay different languages out across materials is a plus (English, Spanish & Chinese most often, other languages are great as well.)
- Part-time, Remote work only (We are a remote team.)
- Hourly rate $25 – $35, depending on experience
- ~10 hours/week of work
- This is a contract position only and is not eligible for employee benefits.
Join us and become a part of social impact through brand transformation and communications capacity building as we work to convene people, ideas & resources, to build agency & communications capacity within the nonprofit sector— collaboratively envisioning the change we want to see.
Instructions for Applying:
Send your application to design(at)rootid.com using the subject line: “Application: Part-time Production Designer, FULL NAME” and let us know a little about you. Only applications with cover letters and project and/or event collateral, print and website design samples will be reviewed.
rootid is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage black, indigenous, people of color, LGBTQIA++, women, gender non-conforming and non-binary, individuals with disabilities, veterans and parents to apply. rootid will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.