rootid is currently seeking applicants for a remote U.S.-based, part-time/contract, mid to senior, back-end Drupal website developer to join our small but mighty team.
rootid was founded in 2011 and is a fully remote, brand, communications and marketing studio committed to being a part of co-designing and implementing community-centered, communications capacity-building within the nonprofit sector. Our processes are aligned with Liberatory Design, and our structures are grounded in our values of anti-racism, equitable access to opportunities and resources, partnership through listening and building trust, community-led breakthroughs, fearless curiosity, reimagination, health and healing.
In this role, you will build and support Drupal back-end websites including custom module development, maintenance of existing code, documentation and implementation of solutions. You will also have the opportunity to participate in our collaborative project improvement process—proactively assessing nonprofit community partner and internal team needs and brainstorming potential solutions and tools.
What you will be doing
- Documenting code and processes, and participating in peer reviews.
- Working with git to commit your code regularly.
- Collaborate with designers, developers, digital specialists, and production specialists to establish a plan of deliverables.
- Answering technical questions from others on the team.
- Most importantly, having fun being a part of an incredible team!
- 5+ years of experience working as a Drupal back-end developer (contract or staff).
- Experience with modern development tools and methods such as atomic and responsive design, gitflow, container-based environments, task runners, CSS preprocessors, IDEs, and CI/CD platforms Strong command of SASS and Bootstrap (or other CSS frameworks).
- Experience using Git, Gulp, Composer and other package managers.
- Strong knowledge of web standards, usability, and accessibility.
- Experience with user testing and quality assurance. Ability to be self-directed and take initiative—working independently and collectively within teams.
- Experience using Twig is nice to have, but not required.
- Comfortable using command line tools like WPCLI, drush, etc. a bonus, but not required.
- Passion for open source development. Experience with collective decision-making
Due to the remote nature of this position, qualified candidates will be required to communicate via video conference. Specific vision abilities, such as color vision, are also needed. Accommodations will be made for those who require them to perform the essential functions outlined above.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time/contract (15-20 hours/week), remote position. Applicants must be US-based and regularly available 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. PST.
- Flexible schedule
- Continuing education and training opportunities - $750/year
- Rate of $75 - $100/hr. depending on experience
Our hope is that our intentionally anti-racist and wellness-centered workplace structures foster an inclusive and welcoming environment to all. We support that intention with regular, facilitated discussions and retreats (affinity caucused, as needed). These shared experiences allow us to build understanding and connection with one another, so we feel nurtured, balanced and able to bring our full selves. Team members have mentioned being part of a design & tech community that is explicitly committed to social justice, life balance, health and healing as one of their favorite aspects of working with rootid. Instructions for
To apply, please send your 1) resume and 2) cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: “Application: Part-time, Drupal Developer, FULL NAME.” Only applications with cover letters will be reviewed. rootid is an equal opportunity employer.
We recognize we have been a predominantly white and cis-gendered team to date, but hope if you are an applicant who identifies as Black, Indigenous, a Person of Color, LGBTQIA+, a Woman, Gender Non-conforming and Non-binary, an individual with disabilities, a Veteran or have been formerly incarcerated, you will find our processes and internal workplace structures inclusive and welcoming.
**Frequently cited statistics show that women, trans, and non-binary people as well as other structurally marginalized groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. rootid encourages you to break that statistic and to apply.** If you need accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.